Thursday, March 8, 2012

My "Better-Than-Last-Time" Vegan Pizza and lots of other stuff

Today's blog is going to be a long one. I didn't realize how much stuff I had saved up that I wanted to blog about. I will go chronologically from longest ago to most recent...

Wednesday February 29, 2012 - Leap Day!

To celebrate Leap Day Disneyland stayed opened for 24 hours from 6am Feb 29 until 6am March 1. We spent the night at the park from midnight until 6am on the 1st. Then we went to Dennys. Dennys Veggie Burger IS vegan. Here's what happened though- I wanted the veggie burger and fries because it was 6am after staying up all night and I just wanted something filling and good. So I ordered the veggie burger. A looong time later our waitress came back and said they are out of the veggie burger patties. So I ordered something else, something much less satisfying for the time like fruit and fries or something, then a loooong time later she came back again and said the manager just got there so now they have veggie patties. What, did the manager just walk in with pockets full of veggie patties or something?! haha. Anyway, good news, I got my vegan burger and fries. Not as good news is that it was not that great, and definitely not worth the $9 or whatever they charged me. It was rather dry, and it seemed like they tried to make up for that with balsamic oily dressing on it. I think I would rather just eat some vegetables, not in patty form, on a sandwich. But I am glad I got it because it was my very first veggie burger, and it is always good to know that you do have options when you are with friends who want to go eat somewhere. The fries were awesome. 



March 3, 2012 - Auntie Anne's Free Pretzel Day

The line at 2:15: (They stop giving them away at 3:00)


This was a new one for me! Patrick reads reddit every day and there is a reddit that tells you where, when, and how to get free stuff. So he found out about free pretzel day! Apparently Auntie Anne's did it last year too and gave away millions of free pretzels, as a thank you to their customers. Who doesn't love those awesome pretzels at mall food courts everywhere?! You could choose from regular or cinnamon sugar to get for free. Many of Auntie Anne's pretzels are vegan, you just have to make sure to ask for them WITHOUT BUTTER!! They just twist the pretzel dough (which is vegan) like so...


...but then they dip it in a giant bowl of butter (which you can see in this picture, in the sink). So they can easily skip that step. The funny thing is, as we were standing there watching her make the pretzels, another guest beside us asked her what was in the bowl they dip the pretzels in and is it their secret ingredient.... I was just thinking.... yeah it's the secret ingredient for fat Americans at malls everywhere... BUTTER. Fortunately the nice people at Auntie Anne's had no problem fulfilling our butter-less request, and Patrick got plain and I got cinnamon sugar, and we split them and each had half of each kind. Having someone to share your free pretzels with is the best. And they tasted AMAZING! We have the most unique, most fun dates :)



March something, 2012 - Delicious Homemade Vegan Tacos

I don't know if I've blogged about the yummy vegan tacos that I make before, so here I go. One time I got a kit, but these are not from a kit. 

Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas
Refried Beans
Onions
Tomatoes
Jalapeno peppers
Lettuce
Rice
Lime
Pepper

How I prepare the food:
Patrick is in charge of making the rice always. I fail at rice. I don't know why. Takes too long. Anyway, step one = obtain boyfriend, have him make rice. 


Next, chop up onions, peppers, and tomatoes and throw in a frying pan with some oil. Sprinkle with pepper and fry it up until you think it's done. Not too long or the tomatoes will shrivel up too much. 


Meanwhile, open up the can of refried beans and heat it up on the stove. This brand of refried beans that we got this time was better than whatever we got last time because it wasn't just mush, but it had some actual beans in it still. Yum. Patrick didn't really like refried beans until we started making them in these tacos. Now he likes them! I wasn't sure if I liked refried beans, but since I am trying new things, I decided to get some, and I really like them! They take the place of the meat in the tacos. Make sure to cook at low heat and to stir very frequently, or else they may mess up the bottom of your pot. They only take a few minutes to cook.


Almost done. Before assembling your taco, heat tortillas on a plate in the microwave. Then assemble taco, refried beans first, then frying pan stuff, then chop up lettuce and put on top. Plate rice and squeeze lime all over everything!! So delicious. Just try not to eat too many, because they are so delicious! 
Vegan love = mexican food :) Mexican food is great, too, because people who are not vegan who are eating with you can top them with whatever they want, like cheese or sour cream or meat (as long as they cook it separately!)



And finally, the last topic for today...

March 8, 2012 - My "Better-Than-Last-Time" Vegan Pizza

So I already posted about making homemade vegan pizza using corn tortillas and pasta sauce. Well tonight I made vegan pizza again, but this time with actual tomato paste that is meant for making pizzas, and, for the first time ever, I used VEGAN "CHEESE"! As a rule I am still not using substitutes in my vegan diet because it is cheating to me. And it is expensive. But today we had coupons for a free slice of pizza at this pizza place down the road from us called zPizza. Now zPizza DOES have an awesome looking vegan pizza and all fresh organic ingredients, but they didn't have that option available for the free slice coupon. So lucky Patrick got both free slices of pepperoni, and I decided to splurge and try vegan cheese on my homemade pizza. 

Ingredients: 
Vegan Mozzarella 

Corn Tortillas (yes okay, next time I will make more of an effort to get a better crust for the pizza)
Tomatoes
Tomato Paste
Pepper (Patrick didn't remind me until AFTER I finished making the pizza that these are Jalapeno peppers and not bell peppers like last time... thanks... It was one spicy pizza. That's okay, I like spicy.)
Freshly chopped garlic
Garlic powder
Pepper

Okay, so with the cheese I tried grating it, but that didn't work. So I ended up just cutting up pieces as best as I could. The cheese is kind of a different consistency, kinda mushy/gooey. But it tastes great! 


I don't need to tell you how to assemble the pizza. Just slice it up and put everything on there. Put it in a 375 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, checking it occasionally, because honestly I didn't really time it.


So yum.

Happy Eating!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment