Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Perfect Vegan Lunch...

...and cooking lentils.


I had lentils left over from making the Dal Palak a while ago, so I finally cooked some more! Lentils are super easy to cook. 1/2 cup lentils, 1 cup water... put in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and put on a lid to let lentils simmer. Can simmer 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how old or new your lentils are. I did about 20 minutes. When the lentils are tender and can be mashed with a fork, they are done. Make sure to check and stir occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of your pan or overcook!

When they were done cooking I added random seasoning I had: salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and I also cooked and chopped up some broccoli and threw that in the mix. Finally, I poured a LITTLE bit of olive oil on it and stirred it all up.

First time I ate it I put it in a whole wheat pita pocket, and by gosh, it was so satisfying! I wasn't trying to make a vegan "burger" of any kind, but this meal definitely was fulfilling in the way that meat is fulfilling. It was warm, and kind of had the consistency of ground beef almost. It was a great discovery from just cooking whatever I had left in the cabinet. As you can see, I put about half in the fridge and had it the next day re-heated with some Triscuits! Very yum!



The Perfect Vegan Lunch (in my opinion)

This was just a super simple lunch I had today, but I just love it because it included so many wonderful fruits and vegetables combined in such yummy ways.

Smoothie:
A few strawberries
1 Banana
Half an orange
A LITTLE bit of ice
A little bit of soy milk
BLEND! DRINK! YUM!

Salad:
Lettuce
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Carrots
Dried dates
Avocado
Olive oil
Pepper

Surprisingly to me, the dates and the avocado complemented each other so well!!


These things makes my tummy so happy. :)

Happy Eating!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment