Wednesday, April 4, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Potluck (Abridged)

So I was going to have a much better blog post all about our St. Patrick's Day potluck, but I just had too many pictures and they take a while to upload, and also I can't seem to re-find the exact recipes that I used. So here is the succinct version of the St. Patrick's Day potluck blog post...


I made homemade whipped cream out of coconut cream for the vegan Banoffee Pie. Banoffee Pie is a traditional European pie that can barely be found in the US. Making a vegan version of it was quite the challenge! I have to thank the wonderful miss Loretta Goff for the inspiration to make Banoffee Pie!


Whipping...


The pie= graham cracker crust (it should be a crust made out of European butter biscuit cookies), a layer of bananas...


...a layer of homemade caramel. Did you know caramel is super easy to make? It is literally just heated up sugar! It's supposed to be Dulce de Leche for true Banoffee Pie, but this was my substitute.


Making the caramel: (LOW HEAT! Very easy to burn and ruin. Lots of sugar=little bit of caramel. Very sticky and hard to work with.)


...and finally, a layer of the homemade vegan whipped coconut cream! Put it in the refrigerator for a few hours, sprinkle with cinnamon, and voila! The longer it stays in the fridge the better it gets. It got better each day! I made two! Everyone LOVED it!



For my main course dish I made a vegan Irish vegetable stew with chick peas. Did you know, chick peas and garbanzo beans are the same thing? I promise it tasted better than this picture makes it look...


Patrick made a traditional Shepherd's Pie with steak and potatoes and cheese and veggies. (NOT VEGAN but that's okay, everyone loved it)


Then we also had an array of green things on our appetizer plate :)



It was a very fun evening! For recipes literally just google Irish vegan stew recipe, or shepherd's pie recipe. :)


Happy (Irish) Eating!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment