Monday, July 9, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Last night was our second night in our new apartment. I made chocolate chip cookies as a new home treat!

This easy vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe is so delicious! It made about 3 dozen cookies. 


Ingredients:
-2 3/4 cup flour (I used 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cup regular white flour)
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 cup vegan margarine (I got Earth Balance from Trader Joe's)
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 banana
-12 oz. vegan chocolate chips (I got Trader Joe's brand chocolate chips

Chocolate Chip ingredients: VEGAN!



Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.


-In a separate large bowl, beat together the margarine, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and banana. (Mash up the banana a bit inside the peel, it'll make mixing easier. The banana is replacing eggs, so make it mushy!)


-Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. I sprinkled in a little bit of cinnamon for fun. It's good. Next time I think I'd skip that though.

-Stir in the chocolate chips (and eat some dough.)



-Drop one inch spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, until edges are golden brown. NOT TOO LONG! That is the trick. 



Delicious!



Nothing says HOME like homemade chocolate chip cookies. Patrick's comment after taking a bite was "Let's eat chocolate chip cookies and watch America's Funniest Home videos just like when we were kids." I like that reaction. 


On a separate note - We usually shop at a grocery store called Smart & Final. The one in Santa Ana has a big, fresh, inexpensive produce section. We found a Smart & Final in Irvine, and it still has the same great low prices, but unfortunately the produce section is lacking. Since produce is mainly what I eat, this is disappointing. We are going to check out the option of me possibly getting a meal plan at UCI. I'll keep you posted.


Happy Eating!
-Gina


No comments:

Post a Comment