Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vegan Labels

Patrick brought me home a bag of Disney potato chips the other day and I noticed on the back of the bag this little symbol: 


V for Vegan! I had never really seen that symbol on packaged food. I still read the ingredients because sometimes you can't trust labels, like when things are labeled "organic." But it does make me happy that people are recognizing veganism and helping vegans out a little! 

This brings up something in my mind however. Did you know that "vegan" is a word that we basically made up to mean "true vegetarian"? The word "vegetarian" actually means what we mean when we now say "vegan" - no dairy, no animal by-products. But since the majority of the world takes "vegetarian" to simply mean no meat, we came up with the word "vegan" to clarify. My friend Danny told me all of this. 


Another example of Vegan labeling is found on these Asian pre-pared dinners that I get sometimes:


If you're vegan you should definitely get these. They are inexpensive, come in a variety of flavors, and are great for those nights when you need a quicker dinner. Just make sure to get the varieties labeled vegan because they do have non-vegan ones too.



I'm going to be catching up on some blogging this evening, so expect a few random blog posts!

Happy Eating!

-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment