Thursday, February 9, 2012

TGI-Avocado!

Thank Goodness It's Avocado!

This blog may not be well written, I am kind of tired right now...

But I just had to blog about avocados! Something I never ate before going vegan that I have discovered I simply LOVE!

This blog is also a report back on how to eat vegan at TGIFridays. Patrick and I went there for his birthday. He got a whole rack of ribs. I asked our waiter if he had a vegan/vegetarian menu. He was super helpful. He brought out a print out of the menu with symbols beside the dishes saying what they had in them (dairy, eggs, soy, etc) I have to tell you, TGIFridays has basically no vegan options, but they are awesome and willing to make it work for you, so I have no complaints! I ended up getting literally the most amazing salad I have ever eaten. It was a sante fe style salad with lettuce, beans, corn, tortilla chips, tomatoes, cucumber I think, I can't remember everything on it, but I had to ask them to leave off the chicken, cheese, and olives (because I don't like olives). For my dressing I originally ordered something else, I don't remember what it was, but they ended up not having that option anymore so I moved to my second choice which was the avocado vinaigrette. MMMM It was the BEST EVER! With my salad I also got a baked potato with chives. It was overall a delicious and filling meal :) And usually with one of these huge salads at a chain like this you can't even make it past the cheese, chicken, and ranch to get to the actual vegetables. I ate the whole thing.




I had been feeling like I hadn't been eating that well for the past few days, still vegan, just not super healthy vegan... for example, I discovered that the icing I bought for Patrick's birthday cake is vegan so I had some of that, and I had vegan pizzas two days in a row, and a bunch of triscuits... etc. etc. So I decided today I would eat only fruits and veggies! For breakfast I had coffee (coffee is a must and a given) and juice- a fruity concoction with apples, oranges, lemon, ginger, parsley, carrot, and cucumber-  very light, good for morning- for lunch I had a banana, strawberry, orange smoothie, then I had for a midday snack celery- but I usually put PB on celery, but today I mashed up some avocado and dipped my celery in that and it was YUM! Then for dinner I had an awesome salad, and the most exciting part was I made AWESOME homemade AVOCADO dressing!!! :) Today I think is the very first day in which everything I ate came from the earth and wasn't processed at all and the only cooked thing I ate was some leftover potatoes with my salad for dinner! But don't worry, I'm not going to go raw vegan.



Recipe for the dressing:
-1/2 an avocado (RIPE!)
-some chopped up garlic (chopped as fine as you can, because I don't have a food processor and the blender didn't work too well to mix it all up)
-some parsley
-1/4 lemon, peeled (not just the juice, I put the 1/4 of the lemon right in there)
-garlic salt
-pepper
-olive oil (to whatever consistency you think looks good- a decent amount)

I first tried doing all that in the blender, which helped at first, but then it all just got stuck to the side so I finished the job mashing it and stirring it to death with a spoon. I put it on the salad and mixed it all up with my hands to get it all completely coated :) On my salad was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and uuum I think that's it.

I think I say this every time I make something new, but I think this was my favorite thing so far.
Made me not even jealous of Patrick eating a little caesars pizza for dinner. I did find out, however, that little caesar's bread sticks are vegan without the parm cheese, and so is their sauce and their crust!


Happy Eating!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment