Sunday, February 19, 2012

The World's Healthiest, Easiest, Vegan Banana Bread

I looked up easy, quick, vegan banana bread recipes, found the easiest one, and simplified and healthified it even more!

Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas (you could use 3 if you want it even more banana-y!)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup cinnamon apple sauce
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup all natural whole wheat flour
(you can just use 2 cups of whatever kind of flour you have- I enjoy baking with whole wheat flour)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking pan. The original recipe calls for a 9x5 inch pan, but I used an 8x8 inch pan because it's what I had. Use whatever you have that is about that size, but 9x5 would be best. That'll make it more like a real loaf of bread.

Mash bananas in large mixing bowl. I just use a spoon and mash away. To get a head start on the mushiness I kind of squeeze the bananas a bit before peeling and squirting into mixing bowl. It is pretty important to get the bananas nice and mushy and no clumps before adding other ingredients.

Next add the maple syrup and apple sauce to the bananas and stir well. Now for all my stirring I use a fork, because I think it mixes it better. (The original recipe called for canola oil and honey as well as the applesauce and syrup, but I simplified and healthified! Trust me, it works)


Next add the sugar, and stir. Then add the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and stir really well. (The original recipe also called for 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, but I don't have that, and I don't like pumpkin pie, and I thought it seemed pretty unnecessary, but do what you like) Finally, stir in the flour. I forgot to sift this time, sift if you want, if you don't it's okay too. Make sure to mix well and get everything off the side of the mixing bowl! As you can see, I don't use a mixer- too much of a hassle, so use those muscles and mix well!


You can mix in nuts, vegan chocolate chips, coconut, whatever you think would be good. I didn't add anything else. Pure and easy and delicious.

Pour mix into greased pan and make sure it's spread out evenly and smoothly in the pan, and all the way to the edges.


Place in center of oven and bake for 40 minutes. Of course, ovens vary, so check it after 40 minutes, but it could take 50 minutes or longer. Mine came out perfectly after 40 minutes. The bread is done when you can stick a fork in it and the fork comes out clean. When you take it out of the oven let it cool in the pan then remove it from the pan, plate it, and let it cool more. I sprinkled a TINY bit of cinnamon and an even tinier bit of sugar on top of the loaf, which worked out wonderfully!


I sliced it up, and had two pieces promptly! Best enjoyed warm, so when you're having it later, pop your pieces in the microwave for a few seconds  :)  Guilt free- very healthy! Delicious! Enough said!

This would be a wonderful thing to eat alongside a banana smoothie, with your morning oatmeal, or anything else really! I only suggest the idea of eating it with something else to help fill your stomach, so you don't eat it all at once, because it is THAT delicious!

Let me know if you try any of the recipes on this blog, and if you change, add, or discover anything.

Happy Eating!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment